Tuesday, April 12, 2016

What do I miss most?

As an expat, you often hear the same questions. One of those is "What do you miss the most from your home country?" And do you know what my answer has been all these years?... (Except from my family of course!)... French supermarkets!! Huge, almost overwhelming, with plenty of food. But not only food, also books, magazines, CD's, clothes, make-up and more.
Obviously, Dutch supermarkets are very different. Much smaller and the variety of food on offer seems very limited for the French girl I am.

I have to admit though that my family and supermarkets are not the only things I miss from France. I also very often miss the French subtlety!!
Dutch people are well-known for their directness and that's an understatement! Their direct way of communicating can be very puzzling when first experienced and after almost 13 years of living here, I still have to get used to it sometimes.
Yes, of course, it can sometimes be handy. Especially when it comes to work. Having worked in a Benelux company employing both Dutch and Belgian people, it felt so fine hearing clearly what my Dutch colleagues wanted and expected. That wasn't the case with my Belgian colleagues who suddenly seemed so vague and unclear in their expectations.

But on the other hand, in private sphere, it doesn't always feel that handy!
Do you want an example?... Being French, I am often too subtle according to my husband. So when walking through a shopping street of Amsterdam and saying to my husband 'what a nice shop and they're having a final sale before closing their doors' wasn't clear enough for him. I should have said 'I want to go have a look inside'. Yeah, right?!
On the other hand, him being Dutch, he doens't know anything about subtlety! So when asked whether my trousers or skirt make me look good, he will always be painfully direct... 'Yes, but your butt looks big in this!' Believe me, in such moments I long for Fench subtlety!!...

No comments:

Post a Comment