Friday, February 5, 2016

The best of both worlds

Sometimes you can feel torn apart when you're an expat. But a lot of times, you actually feel richer then others. Richer because you get the best of two worlds! The best of two countries and two cultures. How cool is that?

That's exactly how I would describe my feeling a few weeks ago.
On Wednesday night I went to a concert in Paris with my parents. I attended one of the greatest French music concerts: the concert of the Enfoirés. Every year, this is a much-awaited event, as it has been for years now. It's an adventure that started in 1986, with one song to support a good cause. It has never stopped since and keeps reuniting France's most famous singers, actors, stand-up comedians and others. They offer the public a 4 or 5-hour long concert.
It was my second time and, once more, I loved it! Great music, great artists, lots of fun and a great spectacle!
 It also felt good to sort of go back to my roots, with French music sang by French singers in a huge Parisian concert hall.

Les Enfoirés 2016, Paris, France

 


The Monday after, I was back in the Netherlands and ready for my second concert of the year. And this time one of the greatest Dutch concerts, with friends and family! Namely, 'De Vrienden van Amstel live'. This also has been a musical tradition for years in the Netherlands. Great Dutch singers and bands get together for a series of concerts (this year 9 in a row!!) that is sure to get you dancing, singing along... and drinking beer!
It's even called 'the largest café in the Netherlands'. This concert gives all its meaning to the untranslatable Dutch word 'gezellig': music, friends, cosiness, party and drinks, all together!
That evening, I was felt really Dutch, singing along with huge classics. I even had one of my dreams come true: seeing the former Dutch band Acda en de Munnik singing together again.
Can't wait till next year!

De Vrienden van Amstel live 2016, Rotterdam, the Netherlands

 

No comments:

Post a Comment